Monday, August 3, 2015

GenCon 2015

The sun in Cincinnati is no different than the same day star of Indianapolis, but it does not shine the same here, there are trees and sky, rather than concrete and glass. I slept for 14 hours and probably could sleep a few more, but Golarion waits for no adventurer.
I cannot possibly list everyone I saw and already miss, but I can say this - in 2013 we were somewhat starry eyed novices, ready to swim in the pool.Steve Helt was the 2013 Paizo RPG SuperStar and I didn't even know him beyond the forum. We had a Dream Date with Owen KC Stephens; we had Monte Cook and Shanna Germain sign our Numenera books at the Drive-Thru RPG booth; Andrew ran one of three Numenera "demo" games, which is to say Monte ran a couple of games in "The Smallest Meeting Room Known to Man" in the Marriott and we had a table in the Open Gaming Room that I recruited a handful of players who could not get into aforementioned meeting room to play in and I played a ringer to help get things started; at the Paizo booth, Paizo employees recognized Andrew and it felt weird to be known; we found Neil Spicer and he generously spoke with us, really Andrew, about how to move to the next level for game design; and we waited around/got lost in downtown Indy with the biker rally before finding a crazy bar with David Wilson Brown for the "Numenera Release Party" with what became MCG with Shannaplaying bouncer. We laughed and it was so surreal to be in that space, knowing that it was just the beginning of so many new things for so many people.
We have all come a long way in 2 years, I am happy for each of your achievements and delighted that you have come into my life or grown from being my role models to becoming my friends. Someone asked me if I was easily starstruck and I don't really think that I am, I am more struck by the realization that I was so busy looking at all the starlight shining around me that I missed something, that I was distracted by looking out, I had not looked in. I, too, am made of starlight and with the encouragement of many, I found a way to let my starlight shine. Thank you GenCon 2015 and all the amazing people who were there this year and all the time in between who helped me get to today and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment