Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Maiden Voyage

Welcome to Gender-Role-Playing.

This is my dream: to live in a world where people feel good about who they are and support others in their pursuit of self-love regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation or other divergent preferences and beliefs.

How I hope to achieve this dream: by living a life that embodies these principles and reaching out to the portion of the population I know and love best, gamers. That will happen here in this blog, on Facebook at the community page, GenderRolePlaying, and hopefully one day through a sister podcast.

I am not a writer by any stretch, but I am passionate about gaming, crafting, music, books, movies and more. I believe that the table is big enough for everyone to have a seat and be treated with respect. I chose to focus on "Gender" because it is the one thing that I feel gives people some trouble, as I view the world. The gaming community is made up of individuals who have likely been mocked at some point in their lives for their choice in hobbies, regardless of their gender, and I think this makes this community an especially ripe fruit to pick for moving forward in gender equality.

There will be no "male bashing" here though. I will not tolerate any kind of nastiness from any side. I will remove any feedback that is not productive, such as name calling, trolling or otherwise detrimental to the process of promoting a caring environment. I want to work from a place of understanding and helping others to understand on both sides. Men and women are very different in a lot of ways, but we're also very much the same. We all want to have a life that is enjoyable to us and fulfilling. I'd like to help make that happen.

Gender issues are even more than just "men" and "women". There are those who do not identify with the binary gender paradigm. Additionally, when we open the gender can, we will be talking about sexuality, so if that makes you uncomfortable, I hope you will find other things here that will interest you. This blog will also look at things that range outside of gaming, but look at gender equality throughout the world.

As time goes on, I hope that this blog will be filled with interesting insights, discussion, sharing and information regarding all manner of nerd and geekdom goodies for all members of the community, regardless of which gender you identify with or the games that you like to play.

My parting thought to each and everyone of you who has taken the time to read this, thank you for being a part of my life, since the initial readers are probably all people I know personally. I love each and everyone of you for who you are and what you bring to this crazy bright world.

2 comments:

  1. If you'd like any help setting up your podcast (eventually) I would be happy to provide whatever assistance you require.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely keep you in mind. While I may be a geek, I am a technologically challenged one!

      Delete